My Foodie Month: Week 1

This month I will be chronicling every penny that I spend on food, so that you can see how I spend less than $1,000 a month feeding my family of four {mostly} organically.


As you can see below, I made quite a few stops this weekend. The 3 physical stops that I made to the Farmer's Market, the fruit stand, and Stop & Shop took me under 2 hours (with a stop home to drop off the girls, who, of course, had to pee). My weekends don't typically look like this, as you will see in next weekend's post.

Also, what you will see in this haul is that I did not buy much meat. That is because I usually bulk purchase meats at the end of the month and stick them in my freezer, almost exclusively from Amazon Fresh (except for salmon, which I purchase from Costco). I plan my family's meals most weeks based upon which proteins I have available in the freezer. So the end of the month usually looks like a lot of cheeseburgers and tuna.

There are items on this list that I will not buy every week, such as donuts and cookies (a special treat for the girls, who were extra good for me at the Farmer's Market), cat treats and toys (which I do not include in my food budget, anyway!), and the ingredients for s'mores (which will last us well into the summer since we don't do them that often).

My stretch goal for this month is to technically spend under $800 on groceries, especially heading into the summer months. The $1,000 that I originally quoted on my Facebook post also included my Shakeology and weekly milk delivery for the girls (which I'm about to drop significantly, as they just do not drink as much milk as they used to).


1 lb ground pork
1 lb nitrate/sugar free bacon
2 dozen eggs
_______________________
$31.62

5 bags of lettuce
bunch of cilantro
bunch of orange mint
2 red onions
________________________
$18.00

Bunch of Kale
4 red apples
bag of apple cider donuts
box of homemade chocolate chip cookies
_________________________________
$10.00

Stop 2:   Stop & Shop
2 Boxes Sourdough Pretzels
2 Bags marshmallows
1 package of chocolate bars
1/2 lb white American cheese
5 green apples
2 packages Cracker Barrel cheese sticks
2 packages shredded Mexican Cheese
________________________________
$44.22

strawberries
radishes
sweet potatoes
zucchini
mini sweet peppers
broccoli
watermelon
can of skipjack tuna
grapes
_______________________
$42.50

8 Boxes Rice A Roni
2 Bags Cat Treats ($2.25 + $1.82)
Champagne Vinegar

Avocado Oil
2 Boxes Peppermint Tea

Califia Farms Coffee Creamer
Coconut Aminos
Corn Chex
Coconut Milk
Balsamic Vinegar
Gallon Ziplocs
2 jars coconut peanut butter ($2.98 x 2) (this doesn't really count because I bought them for someone who is paying me back!)
Cat Treat toy ($7.95) (I don't count cat food/treats/toys towards my food budget, but it's part of this order so I left it)
_______________________
$78.56 (shipping is free)
-$10.03 for extras
_______________________
$68.53


GRAND TOTAL WEEK 1
$214.25


No comments

Creative Commons License
Foodie and the Beasts by Jessica Groff is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.